Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP)

Interesting news and stories about research evaluation and higher education policy.

Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP)

Postby mgcrisp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 am

Source Normalized Impact per Paper measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. As a field-normalized metric SNIP offers researchers, authors, and librarians the ability to benchmark and compare journals from different subject areas. This is especially helpful to researchers publishing in multidisciplinary fields.

http://www.journalmetrics.com/snip.php
Michael G. Crisp

http://michaelcrisp.blogspot.com.au

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
mgcrisp

Re: Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP)

Postby DaFinchi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

This is an imaginatively constructed metric and if it does what Moed et al say on the tin, it's the best of the bunch.

Problem is few people understand it and no one really uses it. I'd also - as with the Eigenfactor, SJR and, to a lesser extent, the JIF - like to see the data that lie within the black box, to be sure everything's being calculated correctly.
Adam Finch

==
Disclosure: I work as an analyst in Science Excellence for CSIRO. Any opinions are expressed as a private individual and may not reflect the official perspective of CSIRO.
DaFinchi

Postby mgcrisp » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 am

With a push for researchers to become more ''interdisciplinary'' will also come the problem of how to evaluate the research they produce. The SNIP might be a useful measure for interdisciplinary research evaluation.
Michael G. Crisp

http://michaelcrisp.blogspot.com.au

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
mgcrisp

Postby DaFinchi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 am

The approach is sound for any collection of publications - just normalise incoming citations by the citation propensity of the citing journal - but it's very computationally intensive and would require access to baselines (i.e. # citations from each journal for each year).

If those technical challenges could be overcome, I agree, it may even trump NCI / RCI / FWCS as the gold standard metric.

There are other ways to specifically measure interdisciplinarity, but most of them rely on extant subject classifications (e.g. % of citations received from outside the article's subject(s)).

The alternative, which we're playing with now, is a whole-of-system approach looking at, for example, modularity across a publication network - though this more looks at internal interdisciplinarity and collaboration within and institution.
Adam Finch

==
Disclosure: I work as an analyst in Science Excellence for CSIRO. Any opinions are expressed as a private individual and may not reflect the official perspective of CSIRO.
DaFinchi

Return to Research Round-up