Melbourne holds pole position in Nature index

Interesting news and stories about research evaluation and higher education policy.

Melbourne holds pole position in Nature index

Postby mgcrisp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Melbourne University has topped a list of Australian institutions publishing in the Nature suite of journals.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/melbourne-holds-pole-position-in-nature-index/story-e6frgcjx-1226866683346
Michael G. Crisp

http://michaelcrisp.blogspot.com.au

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
mgcrisp

Re: Melbourne holds pole position in Nature index

Postby DaFinchi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:16 pm

It's an interesting measure of prestige, but publication in Nature doesn't tell you about the quality of an individual article any more than the Impact Factor of any journal does.

More importantly, it tends to unfairly disadvantage institutions publishing less frequently in subjects covered well by the Nature stable, or just publishing less frequently overall.

If one is to use such a metric, it's probably best to combine the counts with other prestige titles (e.g. Science, PNAS, etc) and express as a proportion of total publication output.

Oh. And limit to articles, reviews and proceedings papers.
Adam Finch

==
Disclosure: I work as an analyst in Science Excellence for CSIRO. Any opinions are expressed as a private individual and may not reflect the official perspective of CSIRO.
DaFinchi

Postby mgcrisp » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:46 am

I wonder whether many of the people using number of Nature papers as a measure of quality have actually read very many of those same articles? Maybe a new altmetric could be determining how many people have not only downloaded the article but also read it, understood it and can make a sensible comment about it.
Michael G. Crisp

http://michaelcrisp.blogspot.com.au

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
mgcrisp

Postby DaFinchi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:10 am

That would be superb - a sort of academic/scholarly altmetric - but vetting that might be tricky.

Perhaps a site where you can only create an account if research staff at a university or research institute... though I guess that still doesn't stop researchers from making confident pronouncements about areas of scientific enquiry of which they have no experience.
Adam Finch

==
Disclosure: I work as an analyst in Science Excellence for CSIRO. Any opinions are expressed as a private individual and may not reflect the official perspective of CSIRO.
DaFinchi

Return to Research Round-up